Sunday, September 28, 2014

Do You Know What Your Child Does on the Internet?

I do not usually post during the weekend, but due to some startling information that I have learned, I thought it important enough to post.

On Friday evening, my husband and I watched the season premier of 20/20 on abc, titled "Out of the Woods".  It is the terrifying recount of a twelve year old girl who was stabbed 19 times by two "friends" because of their devotion to a fictional internet character named "Slender Man".  This happened on May 31, 2014 in Wisconsin.  When I questioned my own children about it, my 20 year old did not know about this, but my 12 year old did.  A friend has the app for a related game on his PED, apparently.

The seriousness of this event speaks to how important it is to know EVERYTHING your child is doing online, including knowing what apps they have on their PEDs (ipad, ipod, phones, etc.).  Please check out the link below for the details of the situation.

abc article about "Out of the Woods"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.